About


Everyone has a story to tell. This is mine.

“I’m no expert programmer, but I know my way around a text editor. I’ve been building web applications for some time now and I hope my journey continues for a long, long time.”

I'm not an expert and probably will never be one in our ever-evolving field. Instead, I'm a problem solver, a generalist, if you will, that can get going on a project without waiting for the so-called specialist. I guarantee an effective solution for 90% of your problems. The other 10% is the simple fact that your problem can't be solved with today's technology.

Why do I code? I'm fascinated by what lies within the code. For me, it's a form of expression, a form of art, an Einstein-Rosen bridge between a problem and a solution, but most importantly a form of communication. Yes, I said it. Programming is about communication, be it human beings or other machines. Your app, program, robot or website has to talk the lingo.

My life-long dream is to build a better web for the people. I'm currently in the process of doing this...

That's pretty much it about me, if you want to know more, please, continue onward:


During the day I work for a small company called Skookum Digitial Works as a software engineer. I've been working in the industry for about three years now. My main server-side languages include Ruby, JavaScript(Nodejs), Go and PHP.

On the client-side I'm building interesting stuff with React, Express, HapiJS, Ember, Sinatra, Rails and a pinch of Drupal.

RubyMotion and React Native are being explored on the mobile front in my free time.

I'm also very much involved in the local web development community here in Charlotte.

“I’m a family man first. Developer second.”

I love my family. I love the process of programming. I thank God each and every day for allowing me to see my family and write code for a living. I hope to do both until the day I die. Here's a quick snapshot of my family:

“I try to stay active, but I know my limits.”

From attending the latest meet ups and taking my dog on five-mile adventure walks to running up and down the basketball court and learning how to play the piano, I try to keep the body and the mind moving as much as I can. I find that these stimulations help me focus, especially on the essentials, throughout the day.

“Do keep in touch.”

If you want to start a conversation or say hello, you can email me at johnamiahford@gmail.com or use my fancy form.